Sunday 22 June 2008



Page 174 - For some reason this prompt made me feel a bit depressed. Maybe because it is just dreaming that all will be equal one day, both in material possessions and opportunities. It would seem to be against human nature for many nowadays to share and help those less fortunate. Some people earn enormous salaries, what can they possibly spend the money on, but it is those who don't have much who are willing to help the less fortunate. I cannnot imagine what my life would be like without any possessions, I take so much for granted and so many things my parents classed as luxuries we now think of as essential. There was a time I didn't have a tumble drier for instance, but I managed! No disposable nappies either! So many things our children have been brought up to think of as part and parcel of normal life! Have we spoilt them, are we just following the herd, do we really need half of what we have? Would my life be more or less enjoyable with fewer material possessions?

5 comments:

Lynne said...

No Kath we don't need all that we have, I am sure.
DH remembers when icecream the our DGC think as the norm was a special treat that you went to the shop for and wrap up in newspaper and ran home and had for dessert as a real special treat!! Gone are those days :( but maybe I am old fashioned?

Barbara said...

We wouldn't have time to indulge in 365 if we didn't have our mod cons though. Yup remember those terry nappies.

malaryush said...

Life changes so quickly doesn't it. Who would have needed a mobile phoe 20 years ago?

willowthewysp said...

I know what you are talking about!!
I do not have a tumble dryer,,and i have used washable nappies for all my children....i dont miss the tumble dryer, becuase i have not got one!
I love reading your journalling and i cant wait to meet you for real!

Steph said...

Wow food for thought again Lynne.I agree though, there are alot of things that come to easily to people in today's society and alot of people don't know the meaning of hard work (and to a certain extend I include myself in that) My Parents worked hard to give me a better life than they had and encourged me to get a good education too so that I could have the best possible life.