Wednesday 18 June 2008



Page 170 - this is the longest period of time I have ever lived in the same place. As Dad was in the army we moved around a lot, I suppose I was lucky to see many different places, and it all seemed normal to me! When we bought our house here it was classed as a village, but now with all the extra building that has gone on, one village just runs into another until they reach the nearest towns in each direction. But we are still lucky enough to have green spaces and a lot of army land to walk through. We also have the Basingstoke canal, with it's thriving visitor centre, and the Blackwater river. Our local primary school is nearby. There was a time when the children were young that I knew just about everyone, but now I don't. We still have a few original neighbours. Most of our shops have gone, and I really don't understand why we need two Indian restaurants, a chippy, Chinese take away and two hairdressers! Oh and a pub, which now has a Thai restaurant attached! I still think I live in a pleasant area, a fairly quiet road, but fairly good access to all amenities. But government policy dictates more houses to be built in the area, and I fear our local services and hospital will be hard pushed to cope, but this must be fairly typical for many areas! I have seen a lot of changes in the area, the ones that upset me most are the demolition of beautiful old buildings and Victorian houses, we should be treasuring these!

7 comments:

malaryush said...

What a gorgeous signpost!
I feel them same as you about all the building and expansion going on everywhere :(

Barbara said...

What a lovely village sign. Glad you still have a lot of green around. Am afraid we live in a new build village so can't really complain about new houses going up near us.

Mary B said...

what a wonderful sign.
I do agree that we are loosing some wonderful building and getting modern very uninteresting ones in their place.

Minty Magic said...

Great village sign. I grew up in a village called Lytchett Matravers - quite a similar name to yours.

Lynne said...

Love the sign and understand what you mean cos we have friends in a village s of beds and have seen the new villages they are about to buikd south of kempston, scary!!

willowthewysp said...

This is a wonderful description of where you live!
xx

Curly said...

Fab journalling again Kath well done.