Monday 1 September 2008



Page 245 - I had all the usual childhood dreams for my era. I wanted to be a ballerina, never having had a lesson in my life, but would dance around on tiptoe! I was going to be a show jumper on a beautiful horse, though to be honest, horses scared me! I was going to be famous, a film star, someone who changed the world in a great way! And of course, to marry, have my own children, and live happily ever after. But from an early age I knew I wanted to be a nurse. I think back then, with less choices open to women, we all knew pretty much what we wanted to be. So I went to train as a nurse, qualified and have enjoyed my career! And yes, I married, had four children and am living a happy life. How much of this I have achieved due to my own determination cannot be assessed, but I am happy with my achievements, and there is no point in looking back and regretting anything. And yes, I still dream and try to follow these dreams!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Lovely journalling Kath. I had forgotten I wanted to be a ballerina too :)

Mary B said...

So glad you got to be the nurse that you wanted to be. and that you had the family you wanted.

Minty Magic said...

Sounds like a fairy tale come true then. I am gald that everything turned out how you wanted it to.

Shirley said...

Lots of dreams and good to see you have achieved many of them.